lunes, 23 de julio de 2012

C.T.P. A.I.R.A. Oral Communication in English. Del Prof. Henry Araya Orozco




Business English:
Vocabulary, Useful Expressions & More

C.T.P.  A.I.R.A. Oral Communication in English. Del Prof. Henry Araya Orozco

1. Apologizing

I'm sorry.
I made a mistake.
Please accept my apologies.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to . . .
(I'm) sorry. I didn't realize that . . . .
That's okay.
No problem.

·        Prefacing bad news

I'm sorry (I have) to tell you this, but . . .
I hate to tell you this, but . . .
I don't know how to tell you this, but . . .
I have some bad news.

 

·        (Formal) written apologies


We regret to inform you that . . .
Regretfully, . . .
Unfortunately, . . .

2.    Asking for Help

Could you . . . . (for me) ?
Would you please . . . ?
Would you mind V+ing . . . .?
Could you possibly . . . ?
Okay, no problem.
Sure, I'd be glad to.
Sorry, I'm (kind of) busy now.
I'm sorry. I don't have time right now.
Do you have a minute?
Can you spare a few minutes?
Could you do me a favor?
Could I ask you a favor?
Can I ask you to . . . ?
I need some help (if you have time).
(If you're not busy) I could use your help.

3.    Business Introductions

Informal

This is my boss, Mr. Stratford.
Jared, this is my secretary, Barbara.
Good to meet you.
Nice to meet you too.
I'd like you to meet my co-worker, Collin Beck.
Collin, this is Susan Palmer.
Nice to meet you.
My pleasure.
Have you met, Jason?
Jason, this is Teresa.
Hi, I'm Jill Watson.
I don't believe we've met. I'm Greg.

Formal

I'd like to introduce you to my dear friend, Mrs. Pleasant.
Allow me to introduce myself/my colleague, Ms. Winters
Let me introduce you to my colleague, Dean Richards.
Mr. Richards, this is David Porter from Aerospace Inc.
How do you do?
How do you do?
It's a pleasure meeting you.
Important body language to remember: Smile, eye contact, firm handshake.

4.    Company Description

What company do you work for?
Which company are you with?
Who do you represent?
I work for ABC Company.
I'm with ABC.
I represent (the) XYZ (company).
What is the name of your company?
Where are you located?
The name of our company is . . . .
Our company is located in . . . .
Our headquarters is in . . .
What (type of business) do you do?
What business are you in?
We are in the computer business.
We're in computers
We sell . . .
We produce . . .
We manufacture . . .
Our major products are . . .

5.    Describing Business Activities

What do you do at ABC Company?

I am in charge of marketing.
I'm responsible for sales.
I program computers.
I recruit and train employees.

What does your company do?

We design software.
We build storage units.
We produce small appliances.
We're in the insurance business.

·        Describing Jobs

What do you do?
What do you do for a living?
What is your occupation?
What type of work do you do?
Where do you work?
I'm a salesman.

(job-general)
I'm in sales.

(general)
I'm in the toy business.

(industry)
I'm a contractor at JBX.

(specific)


I'm a consultant for YXL.

What company do you work for?

I work for Bellwest.

(company name)
I work at Wellbest.

(general)
I'm with Westbell.

(industry)

What do you do there?

What do you do at Bellwest?

I'm a software engineer.

(job title)
I work in the sales department.

(place in company)
I'm in customer service.

(general area)
I work as an instructor.


I build houses.

(specific job)


I clean the restrooms.

6.    Describing Products

Tell me about (this product)
What can you tell me about (this product)?
Can you give me some information/details about this?
What is special/unique about this?
What are the specifications?
Let me tell you about . . .
This is our (newest) product.
This is one of our latest designs.
It is made of . . .
It can be used for . . .
You can use it to . . .
You can . . . with it
This has/contains . . .
This one features . . .
This comes with . . .
This is equipped with . . .
This particular model . . .
This is priced at . . .
This costs . . .

7.    Describing Projects

What are your current projects?
What are you working on (at present)?
What are your major initiatives in this area?
We are currently working on . . .
We are in the process of . . .
We are developing . . .
We are designing . . .
We are building . . .
We are marketing . . .

·        Explaining

Can you explain . . .
Can you tell me why . . .
Why . . .
What happened . . .
Well, . . .
Let me explain.
Let me tell you why . . .
Here's what happened:
There's a (good) reason for this:
The reason is . . .
I'm sorry. I can't tell you that (right now).
Can I get back to you on that?
I'll explain (a little) later.
We'll come to that later.
We'll get to that in a few minutes.
Can we save that until later?

8.    Expressing Appreciation

Thanks.
Thank you.
I appreciate it.
Thanks for the tour.
Thank you for the nice gift.
I appreciate your hospitality.
I appreciate your lending me the chain saw.

·        Forward-Looking Statements

What are your plans for the future?
What are your projections for the next quarter?
What do you expect to achieve (in the near future)?
What are your (sales) projections for next six months?
What are your goals for the coming year?
We expect . . .
We plan to . . .
We project . . .
We hope to . . .
We should . . .
We will be (V+ing) . . .
If all goes as planned,
Our projections are . . .
According to our projections,

·        Invitations

Informal:

Would you like to . . .
We're going to . . . . Would you like to come along?
There's a . . . . (tonight). Would you like to go?
How about (V+ing) . . . ?
Do you want to . . . ?
I wonder if you would like to . . .
I was wondering if you would like to . . .

Formal:

I'd like to invite you to . . .
If you have time, I'd like to invite you . . .
Would you like to join us for (event) at (time) ?
We'd be glad to have you accompany us . . .
We'd be delighted / honored to have you as our guest at . . .

9.    Job Responsibilities


What do you do (in your job)?
What is your main job?
What are you in charge of?
I am in charge of training employees.
I am responsible for watering the plants.
I take care of corporate accounts.
I usually answer telephones.
I mainly write reports.
I repair jet engines.


10. Offering

Informal

Cigarette?
Would you like some coffee?
How about a glass of water?
Here. Have a/some . . .
Would you like one of these?
Can I get you something?
What can I get you something to drink?

No thank you
Yes, please.
Sure. Thanks.
Okay. Thanks.
I really shouldn't.
No. Thanks anyway.
Juice would be fine.

Formal

Would you care for some . . .
Would you like to try . . .
Let me offer you . . .
Let me get you a/some . .

11. Requesting

Informal

Please . . .
Would you . . .
Could you . . .
Would you please . . . .
Could you possibly . . .
Would you mind (V+ing) . . .
Could you do me a favor?

Formal

Could I ask you to . . .
Would you mind if I asked you to . . .
Would you be so kind as to . . .

12. Terms of Payment

I'd like to pay (in) cash.
I'll put it on my credit card.
Can I charge it?
Could you put that on my bill?
Could I put that on my account?
Could you send me an invoice?
Could you bill me (for that)?
Can I put it on lay-away?
May I  . . .
pay in cash
pay by check
pay by credit card
pay with a credit card
pay in installments
pay in one lump sum
Could you deliver it to my office?
Do you charge for shipping?
Do I need to pay for postage and handling?
How long will it take?

13. Using Tense Appropriately in Business Descriptions

Use simple past tense to describe something that wholly occurred at a specific time in the past:
I graduated from NYU in 1998.
NOT: I have graduated since 1998.

(That's when the ceremony occurred.)
(Incorrect!)

I finished the Hollins project last week.
I have finished the Hollins project last week.

(Specific time)
(Incorrect!)
Use present perfect tense to describe something that has been in effect from a certain point in the past until now. Be careful! Some verbs are used for specific actions; others are used for conditions that cover lengths of time.
I met Mr. Flinders last year at a Convention in Little Rock.
I have met him since last year.
I have known him since last year.

(Specific time)
(Incorrect!)
(Correct!)
Use simple present tense to describe facts.
I work for IBS Corporation.
He's a sanitation engineer.
I am responsible for orienting new employees.
She answers company correspondence.
Use present progressive tense to describe ongoing projects.
I am developing new software.
She is teaching the hearing-impaired.
We are building a new mall in East Heights.

14. Welcoming Visitors

Welcome to Cando Enterprises.
Welcome to London. I'm John Taylor.

·        Meeting someone you don't know

1. Patricia Murphy?
Yes.
Hi, I'm Kevin Chen of Myotex Industries.
Welcome to Taiwan.

2. Are you Mr. Blanks?
Yes, I am.
I'm Jane Placid. (We talked by telephone.)
Welcome to Sydney.
It's nice to meet you in person.

Nice meeting you too.
How was your flight?
Okay, but very long.
3. You must be Ms. Terius.
That's right.
It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Brad Wilson.
Welcome to Suntech.

Thank you
Did you have any problem finding this place?
No, your directions were very clear.

15. Analyzing Problems

Focusing on the main problem/issue

What is the main problem?
What is the real issue (here)?
(I think) the major problem is . . .
Our primary concern is . . .
The crux of the matter is . . .
(As I see it), the most important thing is . . .
The main problem we need to solve is . . .
We really need to take care of . . .
It all comes down to this:

·        Asking for input

What should we do about it?
What needs to be done?
What do you think we should do?
What are we going to do about it?
Do you have any suggestions?
Any ideas?

·        Making Recommendations

I recommend that . . .
I suggest that . . .
I would like to propose that . . .
Why don't we . . .

16. Asking for Information

·        Information about company

What does your company do?
We produce marketing materials.
What is your specialty?

What do you specialize in? We specialize in art and design.
What is your main line of business?

What are your major products?
We produce office machines.
What services do you provide? We design software.

We provide technical support.

·        Information about products

Could you give me some (more) information on this?

This is one of our top brands.
It's our best selling refrigerator.
This one is the best in its class.
What can you tell me about this (product)? We're really pleased with its performance.
It's an excellent computer.
I highly recommend this one.
Tell me about this one/model. This model comes with several features.
This particular one has two components.

·        Information about Price

What are you asking for this?
What does this sell for?
How much is it?
How much does it run?
This (one) sells for $5900.
This one goes for $2900.
This one is priced at $9695.

17. Closing a Conversation

 

·        Pre-closing

It's been nice talking to you.
It's been great talking with you.
I really enjoyed meeting you.
It was nice meeting you, Mr. Brown.
I'm sorry, but I have to go now.
I'm afraid I have to leave now.
Thanks for the information/ the tour/ your time.
Thanks for taking the time to talk with us.

·        Follow up

I'll give you a call.
I'll send you an e-mail.
I'll put a packet in the mail for you.
We'll send out that information right away.
I'll have my secretary schedule an appointment.
Could you send me a brochure/some more information?
Could I contact you by e-mail/at your office?
How do I get in touch with you?
How can I reach/contact you?

·        Closing

I look forward to seeing you again.
We'll see you on Friday.
See you next week.
Let me give you my business card.
Here's my e-mail/office number.
Let's keep in touch by e-mail.
We'll be in touch.
Call me if you have any questions.
E-mail me.

·        Customer Survey (Restaurant)

What types of food do you like to eat?
What types of food do you not like to eat?
How often do you go out for a meal?
On what days of the week do you usually eat out?
Which meal(s) (breakfast, lunch, dinner) do you eat outside of your home?
How much do you spend on a typical meal?
Do you go out alone, as a couple, or in groups?
What are your main criteria in choosing a restaurant?
What are your main reasons for not going out to eat?
What is your primary means of transportation?
What area of the city do you live in?
·        Demographics
Age
0-12
13-18
19-25
26-40
41-60
61 and over
Gender
Male
Female




Income
Other

 

18. Discussing Agenda Items

Let's start with . . .
Let's start by . . .
The first item on the agenda is . . .
We need to discuss . . .
Let's look at item number one.
Let's move on to number two.
The next item on the agenda is . . .
What's next on the agenda?
Does anyone have any comments?
Any comments?
Are there any comments on that?
What do you think?
Good idea.
Good point.
Does everyone agree on that?

19. Making Appointments

I'd like to make an appointment with Dr. Bill.
I'd like to schedule a meeting with Ms. Terry.
Could I schedule a time to meet with Mr. East?

What time is best for you?

When would be a good time for you?

Would 9:00 on Thursday be okay?

He'll be in on Tuesday.

His schedule is open all day Monday.

She's free any day but Wednesday.

Dr. Itup will be away until Friday.
Will Mr. Rodgers be in tomorrow?
Is he available next Wednesday?
Does he have any openings on Tuesday?
Does she have any time on Thursday?

Sorry, her calendar is full on Monday.

She will be out on Wednesday.

He doesn't have time on Tuesday.

How about Friday at 4:00?
Thursday at 10:00 will be fine.
Friday at 11:00 sounds good.
Okay. Tuesday morning at 9.
Monday at 8:00 is not good for me.
Wednesday is not possible.

20. Meetings and Discussions

·        Getting started

Let's get started.
We need to discuss . . .
We need to talk about . . .

·        Talking about discussion items

The first thing we need to discuss is . . .
The first item on the agenda is . . .
The first thing on the list is . . .
First, we need to talk about . . .

·        Presenting Options

We have several alternatives:
We have two options:
We could either . . . or . . .

·        Moving on

Let's move on to Item 2.
Let's move on to the next topic.
We need to move on.
The next item (of business) is . . .
We need to go on to the next item.
Shall/Should we move on?

·        Stalling the Discussion

Before we move on, I think we should . . .
Wait a minute. We haven't discussed . . .
Don't you think we need to . . .
Not so fast. We haven't (yet) . . .

·        Asking for Clarification

What to you mean by . . . .
I don't quite follow you.
I didn't get what you meant by . . .
Could you clarify that?
Could you elaborate on that?

·        Making a Suggestion/Proposal

I think we should . . .
Maybe we should . . .
I suggest . . .
Why don't we . . .
How about . . .
We could . . .

·        Giving Feedback

(I think) that's a good idea.
You have a good point.
Good idea/point.
I agree.
I disagree. I think . . .
Sorry. I don't agree with you.
You have a good point, but . . .
That's not such a good idea.
I don't think that's a good idea.

·        Asking for Opinions

What do you think, George?
What's your opinion on that, Martha?
Any thoughts on that?
Any ideas?

·        Checking for Consensus

Do we all agree (on that)?
Does everyone agree?

·        Summarizing

In summary,
The conclusion is . . .
So, we've decided to . . .
We're going to . . . (then)

·        Closing the meeting

That's all for today.
That's it then.
(informal)
The meeting is adjourned.
(very formal)

21. How To Plan a Meeting

Secrets to Successful Meeting Planning

Too often, the best thing we can say about business meetings is that they are a necessary evil, when the fact of the matter is that face-to-face discussions can be the most profitable and rewarding of all business forums. Great projects and great ideas for businesses, in fact, are created by great meetings. 
In your own meeting planning, you need to address Scheduling, Planning, and Set-Up.
Scheduling your group meeting for the proper time and place is essential to seizing the moment of need and potential:
  • Only schedule a meeting when it is actually required, and not before participants are ready for it. Group meetings get a bad reputation because too many of them lack a clear goal.
  • Determine whom to invite. You will need to figure out which corporate divisions or other groups need to be represented in a particular meeting, and the fewest members of each of these groups that can be invited while still getting the job done. No meeting should be any larger than it needs to be.
  • Settle on a date with the necessary decision makers, ideally for a day in the middle of the week.
  • Announce the meeting in writing well in advance of the meeting itself. Make the meeting's objectives clear to all stakeholders, and request details from all presenters on what resources and Descripción: Brainstorming with employeestime they will need to make their presentations.
Planning your meeting is the most important step in the process of creating a successful meeting:
  • Confirm attendance with all of the presenters for the meeting, and firm up details about their audio-visual and other requirements.
  • Settle on a meeting venue, perhaps the most critical ingredient in establishing a comfortable and productive meeting. A conference room or other meeting space should be an appropriate size, properly lit, and with convenient access to any necessary materials. The materials needed for an annual meeting of stockholders will be different than what is appropriate for a product development meeting. Likewise, a monthly business meeting will likely require less space than a contentious school board meeting.
  • Increasingly, online meetings are popular or even unavoidable. In this case, you will need to look into online meeting software, setting up multiple web conference rooms, and the necessary teleconferencing equipment.
  • Write out a specific agenda for the meeting, allocating the necessary time to each presenter, while allowing for necessary discussion periods as well as breaks every 90 minutes. Your meeting agenda should clearly indicate who is in charge of the meeting, who will record details of the meeting, and who to contact in advance of the meeting.
  • Several days before the conference meeting, send out a reminder notice, reiterating the meeting's purpose, date, time, and its expected duration. Send along the detailed meeting agenda at this time.
Lastly, you need to set your meeting space up in a professional manner just before the business meeting begins:
  • Make certain that all of the required equipment is not only available in the meeting facility but functioning as well. Computers, projectors, screens, and conference call technology are notorious for delaying proceedings in the middle of otherwise productive meetings.
  • Arrange the available seating in a customary rectangular or u-shaped pattern. If breakout sessions are a possibility, plan your seating in advance to minimize the necessary interruption.
  • Refreshments of some sort are essential. Consider your invitees, as well as the length and time of the meeting.
No matter whether your meeting planning involves a virtual meeting or a more typical meeting venue, the work a meeting planner puts into setting up the meeting rooms and the overall meeting experience will promote an environment of success even before the first stakeholder even arrives.

22. Helpful Hints for Business Letters

Before writing a business letter, consider the following:

·        Objective(s)

Why am I writing this letter?
What do I hope to accomplish?
What action do I want from my reader?

·        Your Audience

Who will read this letter?
How can I appeal to the reader's interest?
What attitude might the reader have toward this information?
Will the reader consider this good news or bad news?

·        Organization

What information should be included first/last?
What details does the reader need to know?
Does my conclusion motivate the reader to do something?
Do I end the letter in a positive and polite manner?

·        Professionalism

Do I use a professional business letter format?
Do my language and style show a positive attitude toward the reader/the company/the product/the information.
Will my reader be offended by anything in the letter?

·        Proofreading

Are there any spelling errors, typos, etc.?
Is the format of the letter appropriate?
Have I signed my name?

23. Business Letters (Samples)

Trent Chang
56 Somerset Lane
Kai Tak, Kowloon
Hong Kong
April 21, 2001

Marketing Director
Dymon Publications
2201 South Maple Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84797
U.S.A.
Dear Sir/Madam,
I would like to order ten (10) copies of the book, Touchy Situations: A Conversation Text for ESL Students. I recently came across this book at a local teachers' conference and was very impressed by its format and contents. Could you please send the books by express mail? I need them for class next Monday. Also, would you mind sending your latest catalog or brochure?
Thank you for your prompt attention. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Trent Chang

___________________________________________________________

Dymon Publications
2201 South Maple Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84797
U.S.A.
April 21, 2001
Trent Chang
56 Somerset Lane
Kai Tak, Kowloon
Hong Kong
Dear Mr. Chang,
Thank you for your order of Touchy Situations: A Conversation Text for ESL Students. I sent the books by RedFex on April 20. They should be arriving within a few days if they are not there already. Please let me know if there are any problems with the shipment.
As requested, I am enclosing a brochure, which provides information about our other products. You may also check out our web site at http://www.dymonbooks.com.
If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Alan Gordon
Dymon Publications
Enc: brochure

24. Common Phrases for Business Letters

·        Request for information

I am writing to inquire about . . .
I am writing in reference to . . .
I read/heard . . . and would like to know . . .
Could you please send me . . .
at the address below/above
Thank you for your assistance.
I look forward to hearing from you.

·        Response to request

Thank you for your interest/inquiry
Enclosed is the information you requested.
You can learn more about this at . . .
If you have further questions,
If you require assistance, please contact:
If I can be of more help, please feel free to contact me at . . .

·        Sample Sentences: Requests

Could you please send me your most recent brochure?
Could you fax me the results of the market survey?
I would like to order ten copies of the book, Touchy Situations.
I would be very grateful if you could send me this information.
Please return the enclosed envelope with your payment.

·        Sample Sentences: Goodwill

Thank you for your hospitality.
I enjoyed having lunch with you last week while I was in New York.
Congratulations on your promotion to General Manager.
I want(ed) to congratulate you on your new position.
I was happy to hear that contract negotiations went well.

·        Sample Sentences: Introduction of Product/Service.

I am writing to tell you about . . .
(Our new product) is coming out next month.
This product/service is designed to (help you) . . .

·        Sample Sentences: Reference

I am writing in regard to . . .
I am writing in reference to . . .
Please refer to the enclosed invoice/brochure.
I hope you have had a chance to look over the materials we sent.

·        Sample Sentences: Confirmation

I am writing to confirm . . .
I would like to confirm what we discussed last Friday.
I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed . . .

·        Sample Sentences: Notification

I am writing to let you know that . . .
Please be aware/informed that . . .
I would like to inform you of a recent policy change.
I am happy to inform
you that . . .
Your request for funding has been approved.

·        Sample Sentences: Offering Assistance

We would be happy to . . .
If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

·        Sample Sentences: Collection

According to our records . . .
Our records show that . . .
Your monthly installment is past due.
Please send payment as soon as possible.
25. Writing Business Letters

Useful phrases
 
·        Salutation
  • Dear Mr Brown
  • Dear Ms White
  • Dear Sir
  • Dear Sirs
  • Dear Madam  
  • Dear Sir or Madam
  • Gentlemen
   Starting
We are writing to inform you that ...
                      to confirm ...
                      to request ...
                      to enquire about ...
I am contacting you for the following reason.
I recently read/heard about  . . . and would like to know . . .
Having seen your advertisement in ... , I would like to ...
I would be interested in (obtaining/receiving) ...
I received your address from ...      and would like to   ...
I am writing to tell you about ...
       Referring to
       previous contact
Thank you for your letter of March 15 ...
Thank you for contacting us.
In reply to your request ...
Thank you for your letter regarding ...
With reference to our telephone conversation yesterday ...
Further to our meeting last week ...
It was a pleasure meeting you in London last month.
I enjoyed having lunch with you last week in Tokyo.
I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed on Tuesday . . .
       Making a request
We would appreciate it if you would ...
I would be grateful if you could...
Could you please send me . . .
Could you possibly tell us/let us have...
In addition, I would like to receive ...
It would be helpful if you could send us ...
I am interested in (obtaining/receiving...)
I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
Please let me know what action you propose to take.
Offering help
We would be happy to ...
Would you like us to ...
We are quite willing to ...
Our company would be pleased to ...
       Giving good news
We are pleased to announce that ...
I am delighted to inform you that ...
You will be pleased to learn that ...
       Giving bad news
We regret to inform you that ...
I'm afraid it would not be possible to ...
Unfortunately we cannot/we are unable to ...
After careful consideration we have decided (not) to ...
       Complaining
I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with ...
I am writing to complain about ...
Please note that the goods we ordered on (date) have not yet arrived.
We regret to inform you that our order n°--- is now considerably overdue.
I would like to query the transport charges which seem unusually high. 
       Apologizing
We are sorry for the delay in replying ...
I regret any inconvenience caused
I would like to apologize for (the delay/the inconvenience) ...
Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience.
       Orders
Thank you for your quotation of ...
We are pleased to place an order with your company for ...
We would like to cancel our order n°...    
Please confirm receipt of our order.
I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your order n°...
Your order will be processed as quickly as possible.
It will take about (three) weeks to process your order.
We can guarantee delivery before ...
Unfortunately these articles are no longer available/are out of stock.
       Prices
Please send us your price list.
You will find enclosed our most recent catalogue and price list.
Please note that our prices are subject to change without notice.
We have pleasure in enclosing a detailed quotation.
We can make you a firm offer of ...
Our terms of payment are as follows :
       Referring to payment
Our records show that we have not yet received payment of ...
According to our records ...
Please send payment as soon as possible.
You will receive a credit note for the sum of ...
       Enclosing documents
I am enclosing ...
Please find enclosed ...
You will find enclosed ...
       Closing remarks
If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know
If I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me
If you require more information ...
For further details ...
Thank you for taking this into consideration
Thank you for your help.
We hope you are happy with this arrangement.
We hope you can settle this matter to our satisfaction.
       Referring to future
       business
We look forward to a successful working relationship in the future
We would be (very) pleased to do business with your company.
I would be happy to have an opportunity to work with your firm.
       Referring to future
       contact
I look forward to seeing you next week
Looking forward to hearing from you
    "           "      to receiving your comments
I look forward to meeting you on the 15th
I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.  
An early reply would be appreciated.
       Ending business letters
 Sincerely,          }
Yours sincerely, } (for all customers/clients)
Sincerely yours, }
Regards,             (for those you already know and/or
                                   with whom you already have a working relationship.)

 

26. Sample Topics for Business Letters

  • You are a sales representative for your company. Write a letter to Mike Mason of ABC Enterprises, introducing one of your new products or services. Be sure to give important details about your product/service.
  • You are a student researching a company for your business class presentation. Write to Margaret Sims, the public relations director, of the corporation you are researching, and ask for information about her company.
  • Invite Margaret Sims, public relations director of the company you are researching, to be a guest speaker during your presentation next week. (Introduce yourself as a student interested in the company.)
  • Write a letter to Margaret Sims confirming details of her speech next week. Make sure to include time, place and topic. Offer to help in any way you can.
  • You are Margaret Sims. Answer either Letter 2 or Letter 3 (above.) You may choose to accept or reject the writer's request.
  • Roger Owens, President of XYZ Corporation, will be visiting your city next week. Write a letter inviting him and his wife to dinner on Thursday night. (Be sure to specify the time and place of the dinner.)
  • You are Roger Owens. Respond to the Letter 6 (above) accepting or declining the invitation.

·         For Business Letters

1. Receiver (Who are you writing this to?)
Someone you know (friend, colleague, business partner, group, company)
Some one you don't know (To whom it may concern, Dear Sir/Madam)
How do you expect the receiver to respond?
2. Sender (Who are you?)
What is your relationship to the reader/receiver(s)?
What role are you assuming in the letter?
(friend, colleague, etc.)
3. Context (What background information does the reader need?)
Bring the reader up to date first.
Establish a connection
As requested . . .
It was nice meeting you in Toronto last week . . .
I read your article in Vague Magazine . .
Supporting details
Time frame (sequence of events)
4. Message (What do you want the reader to know or do?)
What do you hope to accomplish with the letter (inform, persuade, initiate action)
I am writing to inquire about . . .
Could you please send me . . .
Polite requests
Please . . .
Would you mind . . .
Could you please . . .
Would you be so kind as to . . .
5. Medium (What is the appropriate format?)
Fax, e-mail, formal business letter, memo, informal note
6. Tone (What tone do you wish to convey?)
informative
polite
business-like
friendly
humble
assertive
urgent
irate
7. Other recipients (Are there others who need to be informed of this communication?)
cc: courtesy copy
27. What do you do when you are nervous?
Everyone has different reactions to nervousness. By being aware of your particular nervous mannerism, you can work to overcome them.
Here are some common mannerisms exhibited when giving a speech.
Do you do any of them?
Bite your fingernails
Tap your feet
Wave your hands/arms
Play with your hair
Move around a lot
Speak too fast
Speak too slowly
Become stiff
Shake/Shudder
Play with objects in pockets, etc.
Make strange facial expressions

Say "uh", "uhm"
Tap on the table/podium
Repeat yourself
Breathe heavily
Sweat
Giggle
Pause inappropriately
Clam up/Become speechless
Shift your eyes
Move your head around
Gesture inappropriately

If you do any of the above, it can be distracting to your audience. Being aware of what you do is the first step to overcoming the habit. Watch a video of yourself, or have a colleague or friend watch you make a presentation and then give you feedback on your good and bad points. He/She can also point out if you are using any of the above nervous mannerisms.

28. Speech Preparation

Choose Topic

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Gather Information

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Research

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Select

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Organize

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Write

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Practice

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Revise

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Rehearse

Descripción: http://www.eslgold.com/images/arrow2.jpg

Present

29. Presentation Tips

·         Know Yourself

Strengths
Weaknesses
Talents
Feelings
Opinions
Nervousness
Motivation

·         Know Your Audience

Demographics
Purpose
Interests
Commonality
Individuality

·         Know Your Stuff

Knowledge of Subject
Research
Personal Experience
Preparation
Rehearsal

·         Present Yourself

Dress
Posture
Voice
Gestures
Body Language
Confidence
Enthusiasm

·         Present to Your Audience

Positive
Polite
Interesting
Informative
Thought-provoking

·         Present Your Material

Organization
Clarity
Visuals
Language
Volume

30. Signposting

·         Beginning a presentation

It is common to greet the audience and introduce yourself when giving presentations:
Good morning,/afternoon/evening
I'm _________, the new Finance Manager.
My name is ________ and I represent _______
Let me take a minute to introduce myself.
Let me start by telling you a little about our company.
I've already met some of you, but for those I haven't , I'm ______

·         Introducing the topic

I'm here to talk about . . .
Today, I'd like to say a few words about . . .
I'm going to give you an overview of . . .
The main reason I'm here today is . . .
The focus of my remarks is . . .
I'd like to introduce . . .

·         Time consciousness

Thank you for your time
Thank you for taking the time to be here
I will probably take about . . . minutes
This should last only a few minutes
I hope to be finished by . . .

·         Showing organization

I've divided my topic into three sections/parts. They are . . .
This presentation can be divided into the following subtopics:
First,
Second
Third
Finally

First of all
Secondly
Thirdly
Last

The first point is . . .
The next point is . . .
Next, we come to . . .
The final point is . . .

·         Sequencing

Let's move on to . . .
Let's move on to . . .
That brings us to . . .

·         Giving Reasons

This is why . . .
The main reason is . . .
Therefore,
So,

·         Generalizing

Generally,
Usually,
As a rule,
Most of the time,
In most cases,

·         Highlighting

Actually,
In fact,
As a matter of fact,
In particular
Particularly
Especially

·         Giving Examples

For example,
For instance,
Such as

·         Summarizing

To sum up
To summarize
In brief

·         Concluding

To conclude,
In conclusion,

·         Follow-up

Are/Were there any questions?
We have just a few minutes for questions

31. Simple Presentations

·         Introduction

(Good morning, afternoon, evening)
I'm happy to be here.
I'm glad to have this opportunity to . . .
Today, I'd like to talk (to you) about . . .
My topic today is . . .
The focus of my remarks is . . .
I'd like to share some thoughts on (topic)

·         Main points

Let me start by . . .
First, let me tell you about . . .
I've divided my topic into (three) parts: (They are . . .)

·         Giving examples

For example,
For instance,
Let me illustrate,
To illustrate,

·         Conclusion

In conclusion,
To conclude,
To summarize,
To sum up,

32. The Language of Charts and Graphs

·         Types of Charts

Pie chart
Bar chart/graph
Line graph

·         Describing Movement

Increase
Decrease
Recover
Recovery

Go up
Go down
Jump
Slump

Rise
Fall
Surge
Plummet

Improve(ment)
Declined
Reach (a point)
Approach

 

·         Types of Movement

Slight
Slightly

Gradual
Gradually

Sharp
Sharply

Dramatic
Dramatically

Major
Minor

 

·         Movement over Time

There was a gradual decline in sales.
Sales declined gradually

(noun usage)
(verb usage)
Enrollment increased by 4% in 1997.
There was a 4% increase in enrollment in 1997.
Immigration rose to 800,000 in 1999.
Immigration rose by 20,000 in 1999.

(to a point/number)
(by increment)
There was a 20% rise in immigration. (percentage)
Taxes remained the same from 2000 to 2001.
Taxes continued at 15% for two years.
·         Static (non-movement) Description
Sales stood at $1,400,000 in 1998.
Profits were $27,000 in 1999.
There was a loss of $21,000 in 2001.

33. Thinking Positively about Presentations

People often become nervous or fearful when giving presentations. Here are some phrases you can keep in mind when preparing for and giving a presentation.

·         About Yourself

I'm happy to be here.
I'm glad to have this opportunity.

(Smile)
(Turn nervousness into enthusiasm.)
I (really) want to tell you about this.
I have something interesting to tell you.

·         About Your Audience

This is something I think you should know . . .
This is important (to you) because . . .
You will be interested to know that . . .
You will benefit by knowing this . . .

·         About Your Subject/Material

The information is as follows:
A.
B.
C.
First, I will tell you about . . .
These are the main points/supporting ideas . . .
The best way to understand this information is . . .
Look at this. It will help you understand my topic . . .
This shows (you) . . .
33. American English Business Idioms
·         at a premium

at a high price; at a relatively high price

Example: When flat-screen televisions first came out, they were selling at a premium.


·         back-of-the-envelope calculations

quick calculations; estimates using approximate numbers, instead of exact numbers

Example: I don't need the exact numbers right now. Just give me some back-of-the-envelope calculations.

Note: This expression refers to the quick calculations one would do informally, as on the back of an envelope.


·         belt-tightening

reduction of expenses

Example: When worldwide demand for software decreased, Microsoft had to do some belt-tightening.


·         (to) bite the bullet

to make a difficult or painful decision; to take a difficult step

Example: When demand was down, U.S. automakers had to bite the bullet and cut jobs.
·         Origin: This idiom comes from the military. During the Civil War in the United States, doctors sometimes ran out of whiskey for killing the pain. A bullet would be put in the wounded soldier's mouth during surgery. He would "bite the bullet" to distract him from the pain and keep him quiet so the doctor could do his work in peace.


·         bitter pill to swallow

bad news; something unpleasant to accept

Example: After Gina spent her whole summer working as an intern for American Express, failing to get a full-time job offer from the company was a bitter pill to swallow.


·         blockbuster

a big success; a huge hit

Example: Eli Lilly made a lot of money with the prescription drug, Prozac.
It was a real blockbuster.
Origin: This term comes from the blockbuster bombs used during World War Two by the British Royal Air Force. They were huge and created a large explosive force. Blockbuster ideas similarly create a big impact - and hopefully don't cause destruction like blockbuster bombs!


·         brownie points

credit for doing a good deed or for giving someone a compliment (usually a boss or teacher)

Example: Sara scored brownie points with her boss by volunteering to organize the company's holiday party.
Origin: The junior branch of the Girl Scouts is called the Brownies. Brownies earn credit to then earn a badge by doing good deeds and tasks. When applied to adults, the meaning is sarcastic.


·         cash cow

a product, service, or business division that generates a lot of cash for the company, without requiring much investment

Example: With strong sales every year and a great brand name, Mercedes is a cash cow for DaimlerChrysler.


·         (to) cash in on

to make money on; to benefit financially from

Example: Jamie Oliver, star of the TV show The Naked Chef, cashed in on his popularity by writing cookbooks and opening restaurants.


·         (to) climb the corporate ladder

advance in one's career; the process of getting promoted and making it to senior management

Example: You want to climb the corporate ladder? It helps to be productive and to look good in front of your boss.


·         (to) compare apples to oranges

to compare two unlike things; to make an invalid comparison

Example: Comparing a night at EconoLodge with a night at the Four Seasons is like comparing apples to oranges. One is a budget motel, and the other is a luxury hotel.
Note: You will also see the related expression "compare apples to apples" which means to compare two things of the same type. This means that you are making a valid comparison, as opposed to when you're comparing apples to oranges.


·         crunch time

a short period when there's high pressure to achieve a result

Example: It's crunch time for stem cell researchers in Korea.
New government regulations may soon make their work illegal.


·         dog-eat-dog world

a cruel and aggressive world in which people just look out for themselves

Example: Your company fired you shortly after you had a heart attack?
Well, it's certainly a dog-eat-dog world!
Origin: This expression dates back to the 1500's. Wild dogs were observed fighting aggressively over a piece of food. The connection was made that people, like dogs, often compete aggressively to get what they want.


·         (to) dot your i's and cross your t's

to be very careful; to pay attention to details

Example: When preparing financial statements, accuracy is very important. Be sure to dot your i's and cross your t's.


·         (to) drum up business

to create business; to find new customers

Example: Sales have been very slow lately.
Do you have any ideas for drumming up business?


·         (to) face the music

to admit that there's a problem; to deal with an unpleasant situation realistically

Example: Enron executives finally had to face the music and admit that they were involved in some illegal activities.


·         (to) fast track a project

to make a project a high priority; to speed up the time frame of a project

Example: Let's fast track this project. We've heard rumors that our competitors are developing similar products.


·         (to) generate lots of buzz

to cause many people to start talking about a product or service, usually in a positive way that increases sales

Example: Procter & Gamble generated lots of buzz for its new toothpaste by giving away free samples to people on the streets of New York City.
Note: "Buzz" is a popular word for "attention."


·         (to) have a lot on one's plate

to have a lot to do; to have too much to do; to have too much to cope with

Example: Carlos turned down the project, explaining that he already had a lot on his plate.

Note: There is also the variation: to have too much on one's plate.


·         (the) hard sell

an aggressive way of selling

Example: Car salesmen are famous for using the hard sell on their customers.
Note: The opposite of "the hard sell" is "the soft sell," which is a sales technique using little or no pressure.


·         (to) jump the gun

to start doing something too soon or ahead of everybody else

Example: The company jumped the gun by releasing a new product before the results of the consumer testing were in.
Origin: A runner "jumps the gun" if he or she starts running before the starter's pistol has been fired.


·         (to) jump through hoops

to go through a lot of difficult work for something; to face many bureaucratic obstacles

Example: We had to jump through hoops to get our visas to Russia, but we finally got them.


·         (to) keep one's eye on the prize

to stay focused on the end result; to not let small problems get in the way of good results

Example: I know it's difficult going to class after work, but just keep your eye on the prize. At the end of next year, you'll have your MBA.
Note: You will also see the variation: keep one's eyes on the prize.


·         (to) keep something under wraps

to keep something secret; to not let anybody know about a new project or plan

Example: I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about the project I'm working on.
My boss told me to keep it under wraps.
Note: "Wraps" are things that provide cover, so if something is "under wraps" it's covered up and hidden.


·         mum's the word

let's keep quiet about this; I agree not to tell anyone about this

Example: Please don't tell anybody about our new project.
Remember: mum's the word!
Origin: The word "mum" comes from the murmur "mmmmm," the only sound you can make when your mouth is shut firmly. Try making other sounds besides "mmmmm" with your lips and mouth shut firmly, and you will see that it's impossible!


·         my gut tells me

I have a strong feeling that; my intuition tells me

Example: It's true that I don't know him well, but my gut tells me that James is the right person for the sales director position.
Note: The "gut" is both the intestines and stomach and also the innermost emotional response.


·         nothing ventured, nothing gained

If you don't try to do something, you'll never succeed.

Example: It's risky to spend so much money developing a new brand, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.


·         on top of trends

modern; aware and responding to the latest tastes

Example: The Gap is on top of trends.
They always have the latest styles in their stores.


·         (to) pass the buck

to shift the blame; to blame somebody else

Example: It's your fault.
Don't try to pass the buck!
Origin: This expression comes from the world of poker. In the nineteenth century, a knife with a buckhorn handle (the "buck") was passed to the next dealer when it was his turn to give out the cards.


·         (to) plug (a product)

to promote a product; to talk positively about a product

Example: American Express often hires famous people to plug their credit cards.
No wonder people pay attention to their ads!


·         (to) pull one's weight

to do one's share of the work

Example: Don't rely on others to get your job done. You need to pull your own weight.

Note: You will also hear the variation: to pull one's own weight.


·         (to) pull the plug

to put a stop to a project or initiative, usually because it's not going well; to stop something from moving forward; to discontinue

Example: After losing millions of dollars drilling for oil in Nebraska and finding nothing, the oil company finally pulled the plug on its exploration project.

Origin: This expression refers to removing a plug to make something stop working - when you pull the plug out of the wall, your appliance doesn't work. In the 19th century, when this term originated, the plug was for a toilet. To flush the toilet, you had to pull out a plug.


·         (to) put a stake in the ground

to take the first step; to make a big move to get something started; to make a commitment

Example: Our business in California has grown steadily over the past two years. Now is the time to put a stake in the ground and open a regional office there.


·         (to) rally the troops

to motivate others; to get other people excited about doing something; to do something to improve the morale of the employees and get them energized about doing their work

Example: After the lay-offs and salary cuts, the airline president organized a meeting to rally the troops and plan for the next year.
Note: The verb "to rally" has several definitions, but in this case means to "call together for a common goal or purpose." Troops is an informal way of describing a group of employees. The term comes from the military - a troop is a military unit.


·         reality check

let's think realistically about this situation (said when you don't like something that's being suggested because you don't think the other person is thinking practically or logically)

Example: You think we can start selling our products through our website next month? Time for a reality check! Nobody at our company knows anything about e-commerce.


·         (to) scale back one's hours

to reduce the number of hours one works

Example: When Christine had a baby, she decided to scale back her hours and just work part-time.
Synonym: to cut back one's hours


·         Shape up or ship out!

improve your behavior or leave; if you don't improve your performance, you're going to get fired

Example: Martin finally had enough of Todd's negative attitude.
"Shape up or ship out!" he told Todd.
Origin: This expression was first used in the U.S. military during World War Two, meaning: you'd better follow regulations and behave yourself ("shape up"), or you're going to be sent overseas to a war zone ("ship out").


·         (to) step up to the plate

to take action; to do one's best; to volunteer

Example: We need somebody to be in charge of organizing the company holiday party. Who'd like to step up to the plate and start working on this project?
Note: This expression comes from baseball. You step up to the plate (a plastic mat on the ground) when it's your turn to hit the ball.


·         (to) throw cold water over (an idea, a plan)

to present reasons why something will not work; to discourage

Example: Pat presented her boss with a plan to expand their business into China, but he threw cold water over her plan and told her to just focus on developing business in the United States.
Note: You will also hear the variation: to throw cold water on.


·         though the roof

very high; higher than expected

Example: No wonder people are complaining about the cost of heating their homes.
Oil prices have gone through the roof!


·         (to) turn around one's business

to make a business profitable again; to go from not making profits to being profitable again

Example: The telecom company was able to turn around its business by developing a popular new line of services.


·         (to) work down to the wire

to work until the last minute; to work until just before the deadline

Example: The investment bankers need to turn in their report at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning, and they've still got many hours of work left on it.
They're going to be working down to the wire.
Note: This expression comes from horse racing. In the 19th century, American racetracks placed wire across the track above the finish line. The wire helped determine which horse's nose crossed the line first. If a race was "down to the wire," it was a very close race, undecided until the very last second.


·         (to) work out the (or some) kinks

to solve the problems with

Example: The company announced that they will delay the launch of their new product by two weeks. They still need to work out the kinks with their packaging process.
Note: A "kink" is a problem or flaw in a system or plan.


·         yes man

an employee who always agrees with the boss or does whatever the boss says

Example: Don't expect Larry to argue with the boss.
He's a yes man.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario